Featured Would adding those fake eggs into nesting boxes help them lay

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dmkrieg, Aug 11, 2017.

1. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

I apologize for my ignorance on this topic but I'm still pretty new to raising chickens. I have some White Rocks and a Rhode Island Red that I've been told should start laying soon as they are a little over 5 months old. I was wondering if putting in those fake eggs would help them along?

2. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom New Member

What type of food are you feeding them? once we moved to layer feed, mine started within a few weeks.

3. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

dm, they will lay when their bodies have matured enough to produce eggs. Watch their combs, as they begin to turn red egg laying should be the next event.

There really is not set time. Some birds don't lay until they're 8 months old. Silkies are notorious for be slow to mature.

4. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Combs are Red

5. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Use golf balls if you have them. You never know!

dmkrieg likes this.
  6. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

7. dmkrieg

dmkrieg Member

Ive been feeding a 20% starter grower and providing oyster shell on the side. I do have layer feed that I put outside for them. They are currently with some silkies that are a little younger, but the silkies won't go outside for whatever reason they typically stay with their own type with the exception of a buff orphington that they grew up with. So I do put layer feed outside so the younger ones can't get it. Im not sure of their exact age since I bought them at a farmers market

8. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I've put fake eggs in nests to show newbies where to lay eggs, it works. BTW; like Karen mentioned, golf balls work too.

9. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

If you use fake eggs,mark them.I sent one of mine off in a carton of eggs.I never did hear who found it.

10. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Active Member

dawg53 likes this.
  11. oldhen2345

oldhen2345 Oldhen2345

I have a broody hen, which is funny because I don't have a rooster. She sits on the fake egg I have in the nesting box. She even goes to the other nesting box and steals that one to sit on too. The other chickens usually use the other box since she has called dibs on her box. I had a hard time breaking her of the broody spirit. One time, I took her out of the nesting box and she dropped an egg she had hidden under he wing. I guess I caught her in mid theft of the other hens eggs. LOL they are so funny.

chickenqueen likes this.