Why is one different?

Discussion in 'Meat Chickens' started by jewelslette, Mar 22, 2016.

1. jewelslette

jewelslette New Member

I bought 5 Cornish rocks from tsc on 2/27. At first, they were all the same size, but now it is clear that 4 are misshapen and Frankenstein birds while one is a very normal looking - albeit larger bird than the other breeds I bought at the same time. My question is, will this normal looking bird have a chance to reach sexual maturity? Of so, I might keep her and try to breed her later to see if she produces meatier chicks. I've decided pretty much against buying more cornish, because they look so gross but I do want to breed some meat chickens.

2. Nm156

Nm156 Active Member

No it won't produce meatier chicks if any chicks.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I do think they reach maturity quicker since they develop quicker.

4. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds very much like a different breed, same color, was mixed in to the meat bird bin.

5. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

Or it could have a bad heart or something else going on that would stunt its growth.... Cornish Crosses are getting increasingly problematic with these issues.

6. jewelslette

jewelslette New Member

I've intentionally tried to avoid getting attached to the meaties, but this chick is the friend list and most inquisitive one I have, dagnabbit! When I come into the coop, it is always the first to approach and will hop on my lap or peck at my butt when it isn't getting attention.

7. Feathered

Feathered New Member

If it feels like the right thing try it, what will it hurt to keep her? You can always butcher later.