small scare but seems okay (graphic page 3)

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by seminolewind, Aug 9, 2017.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Last night I go out to lock up and my snuggly silkie roo did not make it up the ladder. He actually look like he was twisting his neck around. I put him on the ramp and he stepped sideways. He's 2 years old. I actually went out with a flashlight at midnight to check on him. This morning he acted fine like the rest of them. I'm relieved. Of course he's my snuggle muffin!

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

I've seen odd behavior in mine from time to time only to find them totally normal the next day. I guess they just have off days like us humans.

3. seminolewind

Tonight I watched them walk the plank to the coop. First he's beat up x2. Then he walks the plank up to the coop, Then they attack him and he falls off. The head twisting is either a nervous reaction or him looking for god to save him. He will be out of there in the morning. I was thinking of putting him in with the 2 Polish (the blind girl). Polish and silkies seem to get along pretty well.

The other thing is I have a flock roo that thinks in terms of ME ME ME!. He has one favorite, and the other 6 hens get nipped away from the scratch. I put it in different areas and he makes the rounds nipping the hens on each area. He disappears with the one hen during the day and the others hang out by the coop. I don't know what anyone else has experienced, but don't roos seem to guard hens? He's the first unselfless roo I've had.

4. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Most guard the hens. Mine. doesnt. First sign of hawk he alarms and runs and hides

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

seminolewind likes this.
  5. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I've only had attack roosters and those I found on the side of the road(I guess that's why they were there LOL).They went back to the side of the road.Right now I'm down to 1 rooster for 26 hens.

6. robin416

Karen, as I was supposed to be going to sleep last night I realized that moving a rooster in with your two girls might not be a good idea. If he's still breeding he's going to be after them which will stress out the blind girl a ton. And yes, they will mount non producing birds, I've seen mine do it.

Chicklett will do the same thing, run from pile to pile intimidating everyone to get away from all of her treats. Of course that's an over bearing hen but the same behavior.

7. seminolewind

Okay, Robin, thanks. I guess I'll arrange something else. Like maybe putting him with the 2 in my avatar? Psycho and sister?

8. robin416

All I can say, is poor boy. If Pyscho lives up to her name he's in for a hard time.

9. seminolewind

I was going to move him somewhere today but when I got out there, he was tucked in a corner, upside down with his neck twisted. I held him for over an hour and he started to show signs of some improvement, hearing crowing and crowing back, holding up his head for periods, and going from the slow gasp of death to hot weather panting. I have him in the coop, in a nest box in the middle, and surrounded by wire fence. With a fan.
    I put water within reach. I may have to tube water later. Or can he go overnight without? He did have some food in his crop. How about an aspirin?

10. seminolewind

Robin, it won't be with psycho.

11. robin416

With what all is going on it's hard to know if it's the stress that has him behaving that way or if something else is going on. If he's mobile, I would just leave water and food nearby and away from the things that were stressing him.

The girl in my avatar had bad moments just putting her in my truck. Never could show her because the stress have her prostrate.

12. seminolewind

I hope it's stress related. He's not walking around but will reach over to the food and water. I think eating is important. I gave him a piece of crushed up aspirin in some water in a syringe. He fought me tooth and nail.

That's sad about your little girl. But she is very cute!

13. robin416

And the best part begins, waiting and watching. I always hated that part but usually it was the right thing to do.

14. seminolewind

I hate that too. I wonder if he had an illness that his buddies targeted him-you know how chickens are? For months he has waited on the ramp , I thought , to be put to bed. You know how they pick on the weakest one.

My first silkie roo was like that. I thought he was waiting for me to tuck him in (sure), then I saw him fall off the ramp one evening, and the next day he never moved from the spot he sat in all day. He ended up being my first unknown Marek's victim.

15. seminolewind

Robin, I figured you'd lose sleep over it. But in his condition, he won't be chasing anyone. I'll just have to see if he makes it thru the night. : (

16. seminolewind

So he did sleep thru Friday night, and I thought Saturday would be his last day. I gave him some mush and water in 2 little bowls. He twisted his head around and ate.
    At 6pm I go out to see them and he's standing staring me in the eye! I pray he keeps improving.

I don't know if I should tube some food and water. I'd like to but don't want to stress him. Any thoughts?

17. robin416

If he's eating on his own I'd feel the same way. Something has him like he is, either it's his flock mates stressing him or an illness.

18. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

As long as he's eating and drinking,I'd let him go.If he's losing weight or seems dehydrated,maybe try TF some Ensure.

19. seminolewind

He's still eating and drinking and standing. He has a slight head tilt. Hubs said he made some crowing noises this morning (the roo).

I thought for sure he'd die or I'd euthanize him. I'm so grateful he looks like he'll live. I have to move him where he can have some more room. Hmmm.

20. seminolewind

He's still eating, drinking, and crowed loud this morning. Still cocks his head on one side to look at something. Otherwise holds his head straight.