Guineafowl Lavender Guinea Keets

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robin416, Jun 9, 2017.

1. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I asked about them on another post so I was glad to see this one.It's nice to know they are all doing good.

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

Keets are slowly becoming big birds. I know one is female because she's buck wheating. Looking at two others I'm fairly certain they are females too.

The latest is, I got the neighbor's single Guinea into the keet pen. If I turn my little flock out I know he's going to steal them and keep them from returning to their pen at night. So, he's learning to be up for a while and then, fingers crossed, I can turn the keets out and have them come home at night.

3. chickenqueen

Good luck with that!I know my guineas eventually roosted in the trees instead of going in every night,then,1 by 1, they disappeared.I never replaced them and now I'm sorry because the yard is full of ticks and other unwanted insects.

4. robin416

If I could get 25 plus birds to return to the coop at night, I stand a chance of getting six up. My birds wanted their millet at night, no chance of that happening if they didn't return to the coop.

chickenqueen and seminolewind like this.
  5. robin416

Today was a success. I opened the door this morning and left it open. Took a while but the adult came out, we had to run into town so I missed the keets adventuring out. They were in front of the garage and then big bird took them into the woods.

He took them far enough I could no longer hear them. Fast forward a couple of hours, I go out to listen and heard them. They were in their pen, the adult too. They got some millet and I closed the door.

We'll repeat that tomorrow. And hope for the best.

6. chickenqueen

Alright!!!Good job!!!Don't you just hate missing milestones of your babies?I do. I'll remember your trick if I ever get guineas again.

7. robin416

Don't get me wrong, it's not rock solid but it's what worked for me for so many years with mine. Spring and Fall when pairing up occurred could be a difficult time getting them all up. Patience and time usually had all up and safe for the night.

The millet was so popular with them it would have the entire flock racing to meet me at bedtime when they saw me step out of the back door.

8. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Active Member

Do you trim their wings or is that something not done with keets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Chicken Forum mobile app

9. robin416

No. Guineas rely on being able to fly just above the ground to escape predators they've lured away from the their mates. And once they're past a year old they don't usually fly unless it's absolutely necessary. Sort of like large fowl chickens.

10. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Active Member

I'm kind of toying with thought of trying some at some point later in the spring. We'll see.....

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Chicken Forum mobile app

11. robin416

They take time, especially in the early going. They are still very much the wild birds of Africa and behave accordingly.

One time with my first flock I had an Ag guy on the property to help with soil issues we had there. Up comes the flock, they surrounded us, screaming and complaining loudly. They were incensed that someone they didn't know was on their property.

I asked him to wait a moment and walked away from him calling "birds." They followed me to their pen where I gave them a millet treat, closed the door and walked back to the guy. He was floored, he said I had no idea you could get Guineas to do that.

But it took time to get them to that point, they were less than a year old and still quite the crazy teenagers.