Jury Rigging

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by seminolewind, Aug 5, 2017.

1. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Karen. I really like your "A- frame" idea. I might consider something like that in the future.
    Patti. I like your "water tower." I've seen it before in some of your pics, but not close up.
    I like using clothesline to tie things off. It's cheap and practically lasts forever.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

My kinda people!!!I have metal sheds for the poultry(still have to get the goose house up) and the nursery/grow-out pen/infirmary.It's raining or I'd take some pics.I have taps,bungee cords,rope,scrap wood etc. I pay for a good floor and heavy duty tarps,everything else is scrap.

3. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

I didn't have the money to order a chick brooder kit which can cost from $50 to $100 depending on where they are ordered from. So I jury-rigged an emergency brooder with a 48" hard plastic kiddie pool and the smallest feeder and waterer from the local feed store: $3.18 for each feeder and waterer, $10 for the kiddie pool, and a small square CorningWare dish from our kitchen for their grit. We already had the flooring chips on hand already. I love CorningWare products because they clean up great no matter how grungy they get. Garden bird netting was a leftover piece we secured with office supply clips to the top of kiddie pool to keep the 3 Dominique chicks from jumping out of the kiddie pool when they get bigger -- I've also used bridal net tulle in the past as a cover. Our stuffed Teddy Bear was free for them to sleep with! I did not have to use a heat lamp for the chicks since our temperatures have been in the 100s. At night I put a towel over the netting over the Teddy Bear area so the chicks feel secure while sleeping. Once I found all 3 of them sleeping in the tiny CorningWare dish! The chicks have lots of room to run around, I don't have to worry about them jumping out when they start feeling adventurous, and it's easy to unclip the net to change the water or add feed or grit. This kind of water dish gets the messiest and we have to clean it a couple times a day. I would recommend a nipple valve bottle waterer but I had nowhere to attach one so opted to get the little $3.18 stand-alone water jug.
    DSCN8248.JPG DSCN8252.JPG

dawg53 likes this.
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

That looks cool! I found that if I put the feeder and waterer on a book leaving enough book exposed for a step left my food and water cleaner.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I use bricks or short 2x4's placed under feeders and waterers, and add a brick or piece of 2x4 as chicks grow.

6. seminolewind

I have used screws on everything for the last 10 years. Good thing because they can always be reused.

7. chickenqueen

I always use a kiddie pool for my babies.There's lots of room,it's water tight but I have to put a fence up at 2-3 wks to keep them from jumping out.Then you can place perches in there for them to practice roosting.Friends and family know something's coming when the pool goes up in my living room.

seminolewind and Nm156 like this.
  8. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Thanks for the supplemental ideas about how to use the kiddie pool for our Dominique chicks. I will definitely elevate the water, that was a good comment, thank you. As for when the chicks get older, we already have a 4x4 foot dog kennel 3 feet high so I have that problem solved for the juveniles because I usually only get 2 or 3-month old birds, but I kinda had to get babies this time if I wanted only Dominiques. I don't usually deal with baby chicks but this was an emergency to get some layers before the New Year and no one had juvenile or POL Dominique layers locally. Getting chicks unexpectedly is why we jury-rigged a cheap brooder. I didn't want to spend lots of money on a regular brooder kit when chicks grow so fast and only get 4 or 5 weeks use out of it, then have to store all the pieces and parts in an already packed storage garage. Costing only $10 I can afford to pass the kiddie pool on to a neighbor to use. I'm zoned for only 5 hens and have no need for using a brooder again.

9. seminolewind

If I need to "donate" something, I put it out front and it disappears by the end of the day.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Karen, you have scrappers too? I recently threw out a disintegrating tarp and it disappeared by the end of the day.
    I have to admit, I've done a little scrapping lol. You never know when you need to jury rig something and see something that someone has thrown out that can be useful.

11. chickenqueen

That's funny!I just put a working stand up freezer at the curb,hoping someone will take it.We don't get a lot of traffic even though my street is a through-way.If I have to call the garbage people,I will have to pay $10.

12. oldhen2345

oldhen2345 Oldhen2345

I had to repurpose an old table I made for the yard and 1/2 of an old coop. I turned it sideways. the front used to be the side where another piece was inserted to make one coop. It rotted, so I just tossed it and used the piece left for the baby barn. I cut the table legs down to about 3 feet and put some support boards along the front and back. the chicks love to roost on those.

Attached Files:

dawg53 likes this.
  13. seminolewind

Awesome!!!

14. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Great ideas, guys!

My chicks have kept the waterer clean since I elevated it about an inch off the kiddie pool floor! I didn't think the little midgets would find it but they're much smarter than I gave them credit! They are just the right height to dip their little beaks into the elevated waterer!

15. chickenqueen

As your chickens grow,you will be amazed at how smart they are,some are smarter than others.They can learn their name and short commands.Some will learn how to tug your heart strings and will become your favorites.Handle them a lot now so you can continue to hold them when they mature for worming,butt trims,first aid,etc....

Sylvester017 likes this.
  16. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

CQ is spot on. Favorites: It always seems it's a favorite that has a health issue or injury that sometimes requires making the tough decision to cull.
    I try not to get attached, but it's tough not to.

chickenqueen and Sylvester017 like this.
  17. seminolewind

Dawg, you are so right. The 2 exceptions to that I had ended up being killed by a raccoon.

18. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

IF I HANDLE THESE DOMINIQUE CHICKS ENOUGH DO YOU THINK THEY'LL LEARN TO TYPE? THEY LOVE SLEEPING ON THE WARM KEYBOARD!

DSCN8256.JPG DSCN8257.JPG DSCN8258.JPG

dawg53 likes this.
  19. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I dont know if they'll learn to type, but I know for sure they dont need to taught to poop! LOL.

Sylvester017 likes this.