Featured Ducks Hopefully they hatch this time.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by squirrelhunter, Jul 30, 2017.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I'm going to try my luck again,just put 4 eggs in the incubator,I've tried twice before (last year)but with no luck,they keep dying before they hatch. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm trying it again with a few changes.

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

This came from BeautyofBirds.com:
    • Special Note about Duck / Goose Eggs: Dave Holderread in his book, 'Storey's Guide to RAISING DUCKS" recommends that duck / goose eggs be sprayed or sprinkled with warm water to prevent the egg membranes from drying out and becoming tough during the hatch (potentially resulting in "dead-in-shells). He recommends spraying or sprinkling these eggs with warm water (about 100 degree Fahrenheit) once each day from day 4 to 26. In nature, the hen will get off the eggs and into the water at least once a day to feed and drink. She will then return to the nest and continue to brood the eggs with her wet plumage - naturally wetting down the eggs.
    With that I have no clue what might be going on. The only other eggs I hatched that were chickens were Guinea eggs. And I think Guinea eggs would hatch just laying on the ground somewhere.

casportpony and squirrelhunter like this.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Thanks I read that on a site a little bit ago and figured I'd try it. They seem to keep dying almost completely filled out,everything's filled out except for absorbing the rest of the yoke. I've been reading on different sites and getting different stories on things like humidity,1 site will say 65% until hatch time then raise it to 80%,anther says 86& and raise to94% at hatch time. They say don't put dirty eggs in the incubator but also don't scrub when washing or even not to wash at all because it'll remove a protective film on them. My eggs always have mud on them and I don't know if I should wash it off or not,I can't get it off without rubbing it off under a faucet. I know part of my trouble was equipment trouble and it should be ok now so hopefully this time does better but still,what humidity,should I clean them etc.?? I know it's a learning process,I just hope I have better luck this time.

4. robin416

You can dip them in a warm water with a bit of bleach in it. If it's mud it will come off fairly easily and the bleach will help kill any bacteria on the surface. You can pat them dry.

If you think about it Mom ends up cleaning the eggs off when she's on the nest so some light cleaning won't hurt them.

I've done that quite a bit with chicken eggs over the years without problems.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That's sort of what I do,I put them under a sort of cool but not cold faucet and wipe the mud off with my thump trying not to rub anymore than I have to then spray them with disinfectant solution. If it doesn't work this time I'll try dipping them in the bleach mixture next time and see if that helps any. The fact that they're almost getting completely filled out first,I'd say something's getting through the shell midway through incubating which may not even have anything to do with how I'm cleaning them but then again it may.

6. robin416

It could be the fault of the parents too. Some hidden genetic thing that is causing the embryos to die before hatch.

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That's possible. These are all new ducks,just born back in February,different breed and all.The ones I had before got wiped out all at once on the road.

8. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Do ducks lay all year like chickens?Just curious.I was surprised to learn geese only lay in the spring.And when you figure out how to successfully hatch them,let me know.I may try it out next year when mine start laying.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Yeah ducks lay all year. I'll let you know,if I have any luck that is

Sent from my XT1030 using Chicken Forum mobile app

10. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Duck eggs must be at 80% humidity during incubation. I sprayed mine every 2 days abd kept the humidity up. All hatched but one which was pretty good. The one died at 2 weeks old in the egg.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

11. chickenqueen

ME,I forgot about the ducks you hatched.I'll keep that in mind next year.LOL

12. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Ok,thanks.

13. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Duck eggs also go 33-37 days depending on breed. Muscovy are 35 to 37. Regular ducks 33-35.
    High humidity is a must, spritz water every few days on the eggs in the incubator, and after born they need niacin .

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Hmm, everything I've read says all ducks except Muscovy are 28 days.

15. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

I hatched muscovy and regular duck eggs. The regular duck eggs went to day 30 then the turner was off and took 3 days to hatch. The muscovy took longer. I read all different stuff too, it was very confusing to say the least.

squirrelhunter likes this.
  16. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

Also, once a duck pips a hole in the egg it can take up to 2 days to hatch. .. the muscovy ducks I hatched took 2 days once they pipped the hole in the egg. I thought they died buy my friend who I was hatching for told me it takes 2 days.. sure enough 2 days after the hole was pipped the ducklings hatched

17. chickenqueen

It took 2 days to hatch?That must've been hard to wait for.I can't stand waiting a couple of hours on a chick.I wonder if geese take days to hatch,I'll have to investigate....

18. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

19. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I can't get my incubator to go above 74% for some reason. o_O

20. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I went out today to let them all out and saw an egg about double the normal size and at first thought I thought "hey,a gosling laid an egg",then I thought "no way,they're only 3 months old" candled it and it's a double yoker :rolleyes:.

chickenqueen likes this.