FYI Greenfire chicks

Discussion in 'Chickens' started by seminolewind, Jun 17, 2017.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

I was reading up on some breeds and came across rarebreedauctions.com and see that Greenfire puts a lot of auctions up. One for instance is for a dozen Maline chicks, bidding right now is $36.00, where his website charges about $50+ for each chick. Similar auctions are run as well. It looks like a good opportunity to get rare chicks. The Malines themselves are like a Barred Rock , but bigger, taller , and have feathered legs. They are supposed to provide the best tasting chicken anywhere (not an interest of mine). My question is how close their personality is to a Barred Rock.

He has all kinds of Orpingtons and Swedish flower hens.

Just an FYI. Except for Chickenqueen who should be looking at sheep, LOL

2. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

Thanks for the tip! My budget says I must resist. :( Been a while since I checked GF's breed list. Uh oh...I shouldn't have looked at the Barbezieux!

I've got 2 Myotonic (fainting) goats--buck and wether that she might need, hint, hint.
    Save
    Save

3. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

The goats are the better at land clearing than sheep for sure.

Karen can't tempt me, I'm out of chickens except for these oldies that might outlive me.

4. seminolewind

Well it's a pretty good deal if you consider what they want $50 a chick for you can get 10-12. It sure is tempting.

I thought sheep did a better job than goats on trimming the grass. (?)

5. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

I have 13 goats. When I move them to a fresh area, the first thing they prefer to eat are leaves and forbs (non-grassy flowering plants). Goats browse, not graze. They grab a bite or several, then move on to something else, and repeat over and over. When they do eat the grasses, the pasture has a patchy, clumpy look with high and low areas--not one that was grazed more evenly. Sapling trees, black berry thickets, wild grape, poison ivy springing up in your pastures? Goats love that. Mine haven't eradicated the dreaded poison--pigs are needed for that.

As a teenager, my family went to Williamsburg, VA. My sister and I enjoyed seeing sheep grazing there. Even Paris, France is now using "lawnmower" sheep.

Whichever animal is used, confining them with electronet and powered by a solar charger is the way to go. The initial expense may be shocking (sorry), but if you have a lot of ground predators around like we do, electric fencing or electronet is a must.

6. Nm156

Nm156 Active Member

Wait and see what the final price ends up.Since they are rare the price will probably be higher.

7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

hahahaha...I've been researching Nubian goats and sheep.I'm leaning toward the goats.I'm breaking it to Dale slowly.He expressed a desire for a couple of sheep and maybe I can sweeten the pot if I suggest we get sheep,too_Otherwise,he's going to divorce me if I get more animals:D

8. seminolewind

Hencackle , I'm glad you mentioned Williamsburg Va. I've been there 4 times. I love that place. One time a friend and I went and when we got there, I went to take a nap by the pool, and some squirrel kept dropping nuts on me. The pool was nice. It was surrounded by green grass and trees at this motel. It's been 20 years and I wonder if anything has changed.

9. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

chickenqueen--paying $50 for a chick is grounds for divorce :p I can imagine my dh saying, "I don't care what breed it is, it better lay golden eggs even if its a rooster."

seminole--its been more than 20 years for me. Try 45, give or take a year! That's funny about the squirrel.
    Save

10. robin416

You know in the way back when, I haunted that site. I'd go oh I want some of those. Then I'd visit the site again and decide no I don't want those others, I want those. Luckily for me they were always sold out whenever I happened by the site and chose that rare breed I just had to have.

11. I read that the auction site is actually owned by Greenfire or one of their employees. Either way, great place to score a deal.

12. seminolewind

Are you kidding? I had no idea. I wonder why they sell a chick on their website for mostly over $50, yet you can bid on 10 chicks and can possibly get them for the price of 1.

Interesting.

13. seminolewind

I know what you mean, Robin. I would love like 3 pullets of each breed, LOL. But it won't happen. And it's like when it comes to chickens, if one is looking at barred chickens how much difference is one barred breed from another? Enough to spend $50 or $5.00? I do plan on getting some barred rocks in the future, and I imagine it would be less grief to get the tried and true instead of paying extra for Malines (Barred with feathered legs).

14. seminolewind

Hencackle, I just love Williamsburg. We always stayed at this motel that had the pool surrounded by green grass and trees, and the 2 women would come in every morning and make whatever you wanted for breakfast for like $2. The rest of the time they had a recreation area that had food or drink for sale on the "honor" system where you put money in a slot. I doubt it's like that anymore. They also had a putting green which I liked to putt around on.

My daughter, who was about 10-12 at the time loved the pool so much she wanted to stay in the pool and not go to the water park! The kids were in the pool til like 10pm.

Really old pic from about 1995.

Attached Files:

15. robin416

My sis lives in Williamsburg. I wonder if she knows if the place is still around.

BTW, I see they couldn't hold you for long.

16. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

Seminole wrote:
    Sounds like a wonderful place to stay. I doubt many businesses can use the honor system anymore as there are too many greedy people without any honor whatsoever.

For example, dh and I enjoy shop for groceries at Earthfare because they have a large selection of organically raised produce and fruit. The store sets out samples of various items on sale, which is a great way to try something. My idea of a sample is taking one piece from the tray. I've seen so many people grab a heaping handful, hitting all the samples in the store. As for those bulk bins--they dip into those as well. What ARE they thinking?

17. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

Arrgggghh. Dreaded double post.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  18. Maryellen

Maryellen Active Member

On facebook there is a group called rare breeds ans another one called chicken raffle. If you want rare breeds and a chance to win stuff go to those groups

19. seminolewind

I have never really been a facebook person. I just go maybe 3 x a year to catch up with people in my past. A few are from 30 years ago.