Geese Finally got the goslings.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by squirrelhunter, Jun 10, 2017.

1. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

That was cute!!!How long have you had the ducks?Do they have a long walk to the pond?Mine do but they don't seem to mind.They eat grass all the way back to the pond and then again on their return trip.When we come home,they all run to greet us like the dog.I'm still kicking myself for not getting geese years ago.If I had,I'd probably have 2 dozen geese and a few chickens instead of the other way around.Now I want some different breeds of goose but I can't.I've reached my bird limit unless I find day old ostriches,I got room for 2 or 3.

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

We got this group of ducks in Feb . after all the trouble we had with the other ducks,we've had 9 others besides these. They've got about 250 feet or so, maybe 300,to get to the pond but it's all yard,nothing tall except on the south side.

Sent from my XT1030 using Chicken Forum mobile app

3. chickenqueen

Hey SH,do you know if the geese will be able to fly?I can't find any info on it.I want to know if I need to clip their wings.I've seen them fly/jump into the pond and fly/walk on water but can they get air borne?I don't want them flying south for the winter.LOL I decided to use buckets for their food and water and need to buy 2 heated ones for the geese.They have a waterer but they can't get their heads in it and you know how they like to dunk their heads.It will be easier on me and better for them,I hope.

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

From what I hear the only ducks and geese that can fly good enough to actually fly away are wild breeds other than the Muscovy ducks. All other domesticated breeds are too heavy to get airborne more than a few feet above ground and only for short distances.

From http://www.metzerfarms.com/FAQ.cfm#WhenFly

"How long does it take Mallards before they fly?
    They start flying at about 12 weeks but are not accomplished until about 16 weeks. Other breeds of ducks have been domesticated for so long and bred for beauty or egg production that they have lost the ability to fly. Will the ducks fly away? The only breed we have that flies is the Mallard and they might fly away. Of course they may stay, too. But to ensure they stay, see the answer to the next question."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. chickenqueen

Alright!!!I'll just keep 'em nice and fat then.I found some scratch grains and I really liked the mix of oiler sunflower,millet and gains.I'm going to get it for the chickens,too,instead of the cracked corn I mix in their feed.I decided to keep the geese on Flock Raiser for 2.5 bags and gradually switch it over.They won't eat anything but vegetation and their gruel.

6. chickenqueen

BTW,how did it go with the angel wing?

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

8. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Another video....and I got my first duck eggs today.:)

seminolewind likes this.
  9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

You mean like these,course you'd have to change it from "ducks" to "geese" but since these are custom made that wouldn't be a problem.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017